We are fortunate to live at a time when recorded facts about individuals in our family are just a click away, if we make time to search. Many online resources are free to access on the internet; others are available via your local public library; and, some require a paid subscription. Below is a list of popular sites. If you know of sites I’ve overlooked, please post about them!
- ANCESTRY.COM – The world’s largest online resource for family history with the world’s largest online community of people interested in their family histories.
- CYNDI’S LIST – A categorized & cross-referenced index to genealogical resources on the Internet.
- FAMILYSEARCH.ORG – Familysearch is a nonprofit family history organization and the largest genealogy organization in the world.
- FOLD3.COM – The web’s premier collection of original military records.
- NATIONAL ARCHIVES – The National Archives and Records Administration (NARA)
- REFDESK.COM – List of genealogy resources.
- ROOTSWEB – The oldest and largest free genealogy site.
- THE USGENWEB PROJECT – Coordinated by volunteers, a list of free genealogy websites for genealogical research in every county and every state of the United States.
- USA.GOV – U.S. government’s official web portal; list of genealogy resources by state. Also available on this site is a list of resources on the Family History and Genealogy page.